Sunday, May 13, 2012

WEEK 2 REPORT

Week 2 Report (6-12 May 2012)

Went to KLCC searching for good chess books, after unwraps many books, finally settled on Chess Fundamentals (Capablanca) and Chess Strategy for Club Player (Herman Grooten). Cost me about RM170 for both books but comforting myself that this will be a long term investment and I will enjoy tax rebate too.

On Chess Fundamentals, I have bought this book before (lend it to friend, never get it back) and I have twice finished reading it but every time I finished this book, I could feel that somehow my chess understanding (especially in simple position) increase and with this book you could feel Capa’s clear mastery of chess. Now attempt to finish it for 3rd time.

My second book is Grooten’s Chess Strategy for Club Players which I found very interesting for positional understanding. Later I discovered that this book is a winner for Chesscafe 2009 book of the year!

Announcement on National Close is out but have to give it a miss.

Kasugi. Have agreed to be part of Terengganu team. Most likely the line up are Fairul, Rahim, Arshad and yours truly.

Last but not least I have received My System! Thanks John Wong for support.

Week 2 Report
Opening
Have decided for next 3 months, will not study opening much. Loek van Wely once said “I only started to study opening seriously when I had a 2400 rating”

Middlegame 
Finished CSCP Chapter 1:Steinitz’s Elements

Endgame 
Covered Q vs R and Q vs R,p (via UCE and FCE). On Q vs R, remember Philidor position! However I still have to familiarize with the second rank defence and third rank defense.

Plan for Week 3 
Opening 
Nil

Middlegame 
To cover
My System: Chapter 1: The Element
Chess Strategy: Chapter 2: The eye of the Grandmaster
Chess Fundamentals: Chapter 1:First Principles

Endgame 
Rook and Minor Piece vs Rook (Especially the tricky Rook, Bishop vs Rook)
Image from http://www.bitrebels.com/design/12-inspiring-posters-that-form-a-message-to-the-next-generation/

2 comments:

  1. Email me if you need more books. Don't spend money buying something you may regret. If you get the ebook and like the book, you can buy it later.

    Both books you bought are fortunately good for keeps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Thanks John Wong for the support! Have received Nimzowitsch's Master of Planning...browsing few pages, i know this is a great book!

      Delete